Change default location of My Documents for all users

Thread: Change default location of My Documents for all users

Matt Guest

Change default location of My Documents for all users

Hello,

I want to be able to have the My Documents folder located on the root of the C: drive on our xp pro machines. Ideally i want the link to be called My Data instead of My Documents and when the users click on it, be taken to the Cata folder. I know how to do this for each user when they are currently logged on but how do i do it so that anybody who logs on gets the same settings?

Anybody any ideas? I presume it's all in HKEY_USERS/.Default but I've tried a few things on a test machine (i.e. i've changed the "HK_USERS.DefaultSoftwareMicrosoftWIndowsCurre nt VersionExplorerUser Shell FoldersPersonal" value to Cata) but whenever i log on with a new account, it is all as it was before.

I've had suggestions before but they all involved changing settings that only applied for the current user (i.e. altered HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings).

Anyone got any ideas at all. I'm really struggling. I;ve scoured the net but all the settings I can find are just for the cuurently logged on user but don't seem to cater for altering the default location so that any other users who log on get the same settings.

Does anybody out ise XP on their system? And if so does everybody just put up with the My Documents settigns or have you found a way to change them?

I'd be grateful for any help! Seriously, I'm going mad now : (

Cheers,

phil bowman Guest

Change default location of My Documents for all users (reply)

Anybody any ideas? I presume it's all in HKEY_USERS/.Default but I've tried a few things on a test machine (i.e. i've changed the "HK_USERS.DefaultSoftwareMicrosoftWIndowsCurre nt VersionExplorerUser Shell FoldersPersonal" value to Cata) but whenever i log on with a new account, it is all as it was before.

I've had suggestions before but they all involved changing settings that only applied for the current user (i.e. altered HKEY_CURRENT_USER settings).

Would you lilke to try this instead...
    Set
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESoftwareMicrosoftWIndowsCurrent VersionExplorerUser Shell Folders Common Documents=C:data

BTW
    HK_USERS.default holds the user settings for the SYSTEM...no I don't know what that means...!

Good Luck
    phil