WINDOWS 95 CLIENT CAN'T SHARE FOLDERS

Thread: WINDOWS 95 CLIENT CAN'T SHARE FOLDERS

JESUS MACIAS Guest

WINDOWS 95 CLIENT CAN'T SHARE FOLDERS

I have a Windows NT - TCPIP based Network, I also have a windows 95 client (Compaq Armada Notebook). I am having in a trouble because I cant share files or folders from the Win95 Client.

I have defined the Domain, Share of files and printers, and when I try to define that Win 95 will obtain the permits for users from the domain users list, a message appears

"I cant reach the users list at this time, try later"

And I don't know what happens...

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Chris Allen Guest

WINDOWS 95 CLIENT CAN'T SHARE FOLDERS (reply)

Dear...

I recommend that you check your network settings again.

------------
    JESUS MACIAS at 10/12/00 10:19:18 AM

I have a Windows NT - TCPIP based Network, I also have a windows 95 client (Compaq Armada Notebook). I am having in a trouble because I cant share files or folders from the Win95 Client.

I have defined the Domain, Share of files and printers, and when I try to define that Win 95 will obtain the permits for users from the domain users list, a message appears

"I cant reach the users list at this time, try later"

And I don't know what happens...

Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Roberto Ruiz Guest

I have been confronted to the same situation more than once using Win95 and Win98 clients. My solution has always been reformatting and reinstalling the OS. I have been quite sure in all cases (3 as long as I remember) that the network configuration is OK, and I have restored it just the same after reinstallation just to find that everything´s OK this time. Maybe there is some obscure workaround behind this, but I haven´t found any information in the KB about this problem, so, drastic as it may seem, this is what I can advise to you.

Hope this helps (at least to comfort you)
    Robert

Roberto Ruiz
    Brainbench MVP for WinNT Workstation
    www.brainbench.com

Paul Irvine Guest

Hi Roberto,

If it does not pose a security prob for you, you can set Windows 95 to use share level security rather than user level. Then Win95 does not try to find a domain controller, you just supply a password for each share. If you have a fairly small network, this is usually not too much hassle. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Paul

------------
    Roberto Ruiz at 12/24/00 7:24:25 PM

I have been confronted to the same situation more than once using Win95 and Win98 clients. My solution has always been reformatting and reinstalling the OS. I have been quite sure in all cases (3 as long as I remember) that the network configuration is OK, and I have restored it just the same after reinstallation just to find that everything´s OK this time. Maybe there is some obscure workaround behind this, but I haven´t found any information in the KB about this problem, so, drastic as it may seem, this is what I can advise to you.

Robert

Roberto Ruiz
    www.brainbench.com

Roberto Ruiz Guest

Paul, I appreciate your advise, using share level security is of course a possible, if not optimal solution, as a matter of fact a temporary solution that I have adopted in the mentioned cases while I waited the opportunity to reinstall the OS. But my intention was to find a definite solution and to expose that maybe Macias problem (and mine) was not necessarily an obvions configuration problem as Chris suggested.

Bye and Happy New Year

Robert

Roberto Ruiz
    www.brainbench.com

------------
    Paul Irvine at 12/28/00 2:36:05 PM

Hi Roberto,

If it does not pose a security prob for you, you can set Windows 95 to use share level security rather than user level. Then Win95 does not try to find a domain controller, you just supply a password for each share. If you have a fairly small network, this is usually not too much hassle. Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Paul

------------
    Roberto Ruiz at 12/24/00 7:24:25 PM

Robert

Roberto Ruiz
    www.brainbench.com